Monday, 12 January 2009

Luka's Guide to the Seven Deadly Sins - Envy

Envy is subtly different to jealousy.

Envy is a desire to have what someone else possesses, whereas jealousy is a fear that someone else is taking what is yours.

There's a lot of envy in blogland. Envy that someone else might be having more/kinkier/better sex than you, envy that someone else has more hits, more comments, more awards. Envy that someone else has managed to secure a book deal, envy that someone else has been sent an expensive sex toy to shove up their twat for free.

The sexually wild and abandoned envy the security of the comfortably coupled, while they in turn envy all the pants-moistening passion their hedonistic counterparts claim to be having.

Much reading of blogs is conducted through slightly narrowed, green-tinged eyes. I'm not saying the congratulations when another blogger has a success story to share are not genuine, but there will always be an undercurrent of "you jammy bastard, how did you get a book deal when I am obviously more talented than you?" It's just human nature. We want our peers to do well, but we'd rather they weren't doing better than us.

I suffer from envy as much as the next person. I combat it with my mighty cynicism. If someone else is doing well, I reason, they should enjoy it while they can and I will cheer them on, for it all invariably turns to shit in the end.

9 comments:

*sweet* said...

great post! Yeah I do compare how many "friends" I have to other people! LOL Guess I suffer from blog envy too sometimes!

I Smile 2 Much said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Walker said...

I envy noone, I have enough problems already without someone else's too and as blogs go the way i see it is that I keep up with many of my friends online and am happy for the bastards when they get a book deal.

Some Chilean Woman said...

Bloggers get book deals? I must really be reading the right blogs.

Tom Allen said...

Excellent series. Nice job, Luka.

Now, if I can only figure out how a jammy bastard like you managed to think of it first...

O said...

I think Envy is probably the most destructive of the 7 deadly. It eats away from within as well as hurting others.
Envy in the blogosphere has always freaked me out. It's a blog, for fuck's sake. Most of what we read likely isn't true, and even if it is, it's only a slice of that person's life....the only blogs that seem truthful to me are usually the ones with a lot of pain in them, or at least some acknowledgement of pain.

But what do I know. And why am I being all serious in here?

Luka said...

Sweet - envy is somewhat aspirational though, it spurs us on to do well for ourselves.

Walker - you are a good chap.

Some Chilean Woman - only some. The rest have to do the vanity publishing thing instead.

Tom Allen - thank you, kindly. I nicked the idea from someone I envied.

O - it can be destructive, but it can also be the spur for greater creativity.

The Boudoir has its serious moments. It is one of the great literary thought-provoking blogs, you know.

Curvaceous Dee said...

Interestingly, I perceive envy and jealously different - I see envy as 'I want what you have as well as you having it' while I view jealousy as 'I want to take what you have away to keep it for myself'.

Using that (quite possibly) conotative definition, I feel envy often, and jealousy rarely, and it's a healthy emotion for me because it spurs me on to achieving the things I want. Whereas if I am feeling jealous there is some serious soul-searching for me to do.

Ain't brains interesting?

xx Dee

Luka said...

Dee - Brains are fascinating, and your comment echoes my musings on envy being potentially a force for creativity rather than solely destructive. Many of my achievements have a solid foundation of pure envy :)