Thursday, 25 September 2008

Dress Me Up

In a little over a month it will be time for my annual Halloween party.

Oh, how I love Halloween. The carefully selected playlist, the props, the food, the atmosphere. I love the fake cobwebs, the rubber spiders and those crappy little bottles of fake blood. I enjoy the bad sound effects, the scary pumpkins and the sheer creativity of it all.

The dressing up, however, is my favourite part of the occasion. Over the years I have donned my devil horns, been a dark angel with a halo of thorns and black bat wings, cavorted as Catwoman and been the Nurse Who Makes You Feel Worse.

This year I have set the theme as Heroes and Villains, but who, I ask you, who shall I be? I have already been a wicked Cruella, perfected my stony glare as Medusa, and danced a magnificent Timewarp as Magenta. I have been casting my mind back over all the literary and cinematic heroines (and anti-heroines) I can recall. Perhaps I shall be Ripley and run around in just my vest and knickers, periodically lobbing my cat in his carrier through random doorways. Or maybe I could have a cyber session and be the Borg Queen. I just can't decide.



Tell me, talented and creative readers of the Boudoir, what would be your fantasy fancy dress outfit? Have you ever tried to create it, and if so did it meet expectations? Did you look like a real Starship Trooper or just a twonk in a foil covered cardboard box?

12 comments:

Ro said...

I was always too shy to feel happy in fancy dress. There was, amazingly enough, the visit to Rocky Horror but the only time I've been to a proper fancy-dress party as an adult I went as the Moorcock hero, Hawkmoon.

It wasn't overly difficult: mostly a matter of gluing a gemstone to my forehead and carrying a large sword!

la coquette said...

Malificent. (The Evil Queen from Sleeping Beauty)

Trixie said...

One year I dressed as frankenstein, and amazingly, I pulled that night! lol.

Walker said...

The only fantasy dress I tried to get into was a Nun's Habit and she slapped the shit out of me after.

Freddy said...

You would make a fabulous punk queen!

Bondage trousers, eyeshadow and that fabulous head of hair teased and tinted into a crowning glory

daisyfae said...

Xena. You are xena...

that's my favorite hero costume! even used when i was a "room mother" when my children were in primary school!

Helga Hansen said...

I'm loving that Cruella look!! Excellent! Very Glenn Close!

I know it's a male role, but how about Edward Scissor-hands? All that wild hair, and you could brandish two pairs of hedge clippers... just make sure you have the blade protectors on them!

Luka said...

Ro - I can picture it well! You should re-enact it for HNT!

La Coquette - funnily enough, I have a Malifcent head dress, acquired after someone left it behind at a previous party...

Trixie - what was he dressed as?

Walker - heh, those nuns are never as naughty as the packaging on the outfits would lead you to believe.

Freddy - tempting...

Daisyfae - now there's an image! Do you think I could make my own outfit out of chamois leathers?

Helga - it was a nightmare to wash all the white hairspray out the next morning!

I do like Edward Scissorhands, and it would give me an advantage in spearing the buffet snacks...

Ro said...

Re-enact which one: Rocky Horror or Hawkmoon?

Strangely, I'd find the former easier as that wouldn't mean showing my face! Perhaps if The Beloved puts her weight behind the idea ... she gets me to do pretty much whatever she likes!

Luka said...

Ro - I'm having with either, to be honest, but if you have to hide your face then you may have to opt for the stockings....

Kinky Webmistress said...

20 years ago, I thought I looked marvellous as Carmen Miranda with plastic fruit on my head and a little something I'd hand stitched out of a frilly net curtain and a scrap of lurex...and the 7Ts curtain wrapped sarong stylee around my lower bits was a master stroke - until a 5ft 5" drag queen turned up and out-Miranded me by at least 3ft of plastic fruit and foot long fake eye lashes....I sobbed quietly in the corner and blew my nose on my nylon cuff - I'll send the photos and you can judge for yourself....life can be so cruel

Luka said...

Kinky Webmistress - *sniff*

That is a sad story and one which I think we can all relate to.

(Yes, send photos! We should have a saddest fancy dress photo competition!)