Monday, 26 May 2008

The Night They Invented Champagne

"There was a three for two offer," they explained as they held out the bag to me. "We hope you like champagne!"

I clasped the three bottles of champagne safely to my bosom and went inside to make some room in the fridge.

It's always nice when your guests bring a gift, and it would have been churlish not to open a bottle at once.

The next morning I woke up with the hazy recollection of peaking too soon.

"I think I overdid the champagne," I said as I wandered into the kitchen.

"You were fabulous on champagne," said my friend. "I shall buy you more."

"Well, fabulous for five minutes," clarified his companion. "Then you fell asleep."

"I burned briefly, but oh so brightly," I said as I rummaged in the drawer for paracetomol. "Much like my party snacks."

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

BTDT--Champagne will do it to ya every time :-) Happy you had fun, kiddo :-)

Beau

Helga Hansen said...

Sounds like you had a good time... one thing though... can one get drunk on decent champagne?

Luka said...

Beau - I have it on good authority that I did have a good time, yes :)

Helga - one can if one tries hard enough.

Ms Robinson said...

Ms R is not fond of champagne. It makes her tummy blow up and uncomfortable. And it makes her ill. She would rather have a great white wine. Thank you and goodnight.

Luka said...

Ms R - indeed, I have been on the white wine tonight and the remaining bottle of champagne languishes, unopened, in the fridge.

Anonymous Boxer said...

The more expensive, the better.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous Boxer--yes, yes, yes! Moet and Chandon--Veuve Cliquot Yellow label--Dom Perignon for sure; Piper Heidseick--none of the California soda pop: gives me gas --badly! lol

Beau

Luka said...

Anonymous Boxer and Beau - as long as I'm not paying for it I'd have to agree.

Anonymous said...

If you were with me--don't worry, I'd pay for it--all night long. Then we'd see what happens lol

Beau

Luka said...

Beau - that's a generous offer, though you wouldnt need to worry too much about the "all night long" bit. Given my previous performance I will be talking crap and then sleeping soundly well before midnight.

Walker said...

I hate champagne and i have tried hem all.
I rather some red wine or scotch, maybe both at the same time LOL

Luka said...

Walker - now what would that concoction be called?

Walker said...

Trouble LOL